Sunday, January 14, 2007

Day 4-5 Evening

Tonight our group met for a time of prayer and sharing in our hotel room. Here is a devotional that really impacted our group.

Isaiah 6:8

"I heard the voice of the Lord saying: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."

Remove the thought from your mind of expecting God to come to force you or to plead with you. When our Lord called His disciples, He did it without irresistible pressure from the outside. The quiet, yet passionate, insistence of His "Follow Me" was spoken to men whose every sense was receptive (Matthew 4:19). If we allow the Holy Spirit to bring us face to face with God, we too will hear what Isaiah heard - "The voice of the Lord" and then in perfect freedom we too will say "Here am I! Send me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a true thought. People often ask me why we are going to Iraq, expecting some huge grandious explanation. And I suppose in some versions I do have that - involving a vision I had back in college and some other things like that... but the truest truth of the matter is simply this:

1. People need Jesus.
2. I needed Jesus and he found me.
3. Now he simply asks me to GO and tell other people about him and I can do that. I CAN, and I will. I won't wait for someone else to do because it's scary (it is), or because it takes a lot of work to do it (it is), or because things are getting hard here as we prepare to go (they are). That's all beside the point. He asks us to go, and we can, so we will.

It's a good place to be when you've heard God ask you to go to whereever he's asked YOU to go, and you can just simply say (like the devo says), "yeah. send me. I'll go."